Wednesday 29 July 2015

Paper Towns

Quick Review


I saw this with a friend this week and thought it was pretty good. It’s based on a book by John Green, author of The Fault In Our Stars.

Quentin (Nat Wolff) is in love with his neighbour and childhood friend Margo (Cara Delevingne)(on a side note, whenever they say her name in the film, I can’t help but think of mangos). They haven’t spoken in years as she is a rather wild child and he’s an awkward penguin. They’ve nearly finished high school and one night Margo takes him on an adventurous escapade, before she takes off the next day. Desperate now that he has reconnected with her, he follows a bunch of clues she has left behind and sets off to find her with his equally awkward bunch of friends.


The characters and dialogue are probably the highlights of this film. Quentin’s friends I found very relatable, much like my own friends from high school with their juvenile humour. The dialogue is fairly snappy and keeps things moving sufficiently. There are some standard romantic clichés that are laughable but the film is cute enough to look over these. There’s also a romanticised, idealised depiction of teenage life that filled me with a sense of nostalgia for my own teenage years. The notion of Margo’s character and setting out on an epic night through suburbia resonates with me. I don’t mind wandering though a paper town, as long as I’ve got good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment